One of the most popular offering at Kleijn Nurseries and Garden Centre is our “bare root” fruit trees. Our fruit trees are selected for their suitability to our local environment and growing conditions. We carry them as two year old trees, bare root, ready to plant, usually available for purchase in Fall and Spring of the year, which is, incidentally, the best times to plant new trees.
Regarding Pollination and Pollinators:
Some fruit trees are semi or full self-fertile, but most need a pollinator to produce a heavy fruit crop. A pollinator is another variety with a flower season that overlaps the variety in question and produces adequate pollen. Many urban areas have enough existing fruit trees so pollination is never a problem. If there are none nearby, it is necessary to plant pollinators.
We do our best to source quality trees, refunds on bare roots are, unfortunately, are not available. Below is our current selection, however some trees are subject to availability as they sell out fast.
Fruit trees are a very hot seller in 2021 ! As of May, 2021, we still have fruit trees in pots, and some bare root apple trees, however, we are sold out of the rest of the bare root fruit trees.
You can download a PDF document to see our 2020-2021 season’s offerings.
Our typical offering includes the trees listed below.
• Fuji: Late October, excellent eating apple, stores well.
• Royal Gala : late summer apple. hardy, vigorous tree. firm, red apple.
• Red Gravenstein : Firm juicy with tart flavor.
• McIntosh: very hardy, medium to large fruit, red color
• Granny Smith: green skin, ripens late october
• Sunrise: large pink-red apple, crisp, juicy. Very productive
• Red Northern Spy: best winter apple, late season. Red, and hardy
• Honeycrisp : large round apple, very crisp and juicy. Excellent keeper
• Yellow Transparent: Green cooking apple. Hardy.
• Spartan: Heavy producer. Dark red fruit, juicy and crisp. Eat fresh or cooked.
• Florina* : European scab free, matures mid-October. Red apple
• Liberty* : similar to Spartan, scab and mildew resistant
• Combination apple: jonagold,gravenstein, gala,spartan
• Bartlett : medium large fruit, green when picked, bright yellow when ripe.
• Bosc: Fruit is medium large, heavily russeted. Juicy and very sweet
• Highland: outstanding winter pear. Yellow, juicy and sweet
• Red Sensation : Red Bartlett, late summer
• Scarlett : Large fruit, yellow when ripe. Fresh eating or canning
• Twenty century : oriental pear, mild and juicy, stores well
• Chojuro : sweet flavor, ripens in august
• Peach Plum: semi free stone, sweet flavor. Tree is very productive
• Gold Plum : large, round bright yellow fruit, clingstone, early to mid-season ”J”
• Red Heart : Red skin, red flesh. Sweet flavor “J”
• Santa Rosa : Very large round fruit, dark red skin, yellow flesh “J”
• Italian Plum : Dark purple skin, yellow flesh, freestone “E”
• Compact Stella: Early, heavy crops of black heart shaped fruit
• Lapins : Resistant to cracking, large fruit.
• Bing : Deep dark red/black fruit, firm and juicy. Requires pollinator
• Sweetheart : Bright red, large fruit. Very productive. Late July
• Rainier : Large, yellow cherry with red blush. Delicate flavor. Need pollinator
• Champion : sweet and flavorful, good for coastal areas
• Le borgeot : Pear flavor. Great for jams and jellies
The following are potted and only available in late spring 2020 (April / May)
• Red Haven