One of the most popular offering at Kleijn Nurseries and Garden Centre is bare root fruit trees. Our fruit trees are selected for their suitability to our local environment and growing conditions. We carry them as two year old trees, bare root, ready to plant, usually available for purchase in Fall and Spring of the year, which is, incidentally, the best times to plant new trees.
Regarding Pollination and Pollinators:
Some fruit trees are semi or full self-fertile, but most need a pollinator to produce a heavy fruit crop. A pollinator is another variety with a flower season that overlaps the variety in question and produces adequate pollen. Many urban areas have enough existing fruit trees so pollination is never a problem. If there are none nearby, it is necessary to plant pollinators.
We do our best to source quality trees, refunds on bare roots are, unfortunately, are not available. Below is our current selection, however some trees are subject to availability as they sell out fast.
2017 Fruit Tree Selection
Trees arriving in November 2016, have an asterisk * mark;
all others will arrive February / March 2016.
You can download a PDF version of this list.
• Fuji Red Sport* : Late October, excellent eating apple, stores well.
• Royal Gala : late summer apple. hardy, vigorous tree. firm, red apple.
• Red Gravenstein : Firm juicy with tart flavor.
• Granny Smith: green apple, ripens late October .
• Sunrise : Probably the best summer apple, very productive. Early apple, red.
• RedFree* : summer apple. Tree is immune to scab and cedar rust.
• Honeycrisp : large round apple, very crisp and juicy. Excellent keeper.
• Paula Red : early season eating apples. Small to medium apple, taste is mild.
• Cox Orange*: apples are yellow with red blush. thin skin, the firm flesh is very juicy.
• Florina* : European scab free, matures mid-october. Red apple.
• Liberty* : similar to Spartan, scab and mildew resistant.
• Combination apple: Sept ruby, Goodland, Norkent, Honeycrisp.
• Combination apple* : Liberty, Redfree, Golden, FLorina.
• Crabapple ”Dolgo” : good for jelly, small apples red, crisp and juicy.
• Bartlett* : medium large fruit, green when picked, bright yellow when ripe
• Flemish Beauty * : Dwarf, vigorous and productive. Large fruit, blushed, juicy
• Bosc : Fruit is medium large, heavily russeted. Juicy and very sweet
• Comice * : the sweetest and juiciest of all varieties of pears.
• Gold Plum : large, round bright yellow fruit, clingstone, early to mid-season
• Peach Plum * : Yellowish and blushed skin. Semi freestone, extremely productive
• Santa Rosa : Very large round fruit, dark red skin, yellow flesh
• Italian Plum * : dark purple skin, yellow flesh, freestone.
• Mount Royal : average sized blue fruit with yellow flesh.Firm, Juicy. (sept.)
• Compact Stella * : Early, heavy crops of black heart shaped fruit
• Lapins* : Resistant to cracking, large fruit
Bing* : deep dark red/black fruit, firm and juicy. Requires cross-pollination
• Glohaven * : large fruit, free stone, early august
• Red Haven * : large fruit, semi free stone, mid august
• Sacajawea : early variety (August)
• Jefferson : new variety, resistant to fire blight
• Yamhill : shorter than most varieties, nuts have nice texture, flavorful , resistant to fire blight
• Theta : small to medium size nuts, pollinator for Jefferson. Blight immune.